Formed in 1900 as Anglo Panormitan Athletic and Football Club, Palermo originally played in red and blue until 1907 when they adopted the new colours of pink and black that have stayed with them until the present day.
In 1920 the Rosanero were admitted to the first Sicilian Federal Championship, which they won that very year, beating off competition from Catania, Messina and Marsala in the process.
Palermo’s 115-year existence could be described as little short of a rollercoaster ride. Besides needing to reform in 1927, 1940 and 1987 due to financial problems, the club’s chequered history is characterised by constant yo-yoing between leagues, gaining promotion on 13 occasions between the fourth and first divisions of Italian football.
The Rosanero experienced Coppa Italia heartache on two occasions in quick succession, losing on penalties to Bologna in the 1974 final before falling to a late winner by former player Franco Causio in Juventus’ 2-1 success in 1979. A third defeat at the competition’s last hurdle would come 22 years later with Inter the victors that year.