Sampdoria vs Juventus: Match preview
Juventus have won their last four matches in Serie A, scoring 14 goals in the process, and will be hoping to extend that run further in Genoa.
Last time out against Benevento, on the club’s 120-year anniversary, the Old Lady didn’t have it all their own way. They trailed to the newly promoted team at half-time after a free-kick from Amato Ciciretti found its way past Wojciech Szczęsny. However, Juve got themselves back into the game when Gonzalo Higuain struck in the 57th minute, volleying Blaise Matuidi’s header into the back of the net. The Bianconeri completed the comeback just eight minutes later as Juan Cuadrado headed in Alex Sandro’s cross at the back post.
The win, combined with draws for Napoli and Inter on matchday 12, pulled Juve above Inter into 2nd in the table just a point behind Napoli.
MARASSI FORTRESS FOR SAMP
Sampdoria have made a good start to their Serie A season, which is down to their impeccable home form. The Blucerchiati have won all of their home matches this season, only conceding a total of three goals in the process.
Last time out they faced Genoa in the Derby della Lanterna, which they won 2-0 with goals from Gaston Ramirez, and former Bianconero, Fabio Quagliarella.
Their main signings this summer were the arrivals of Duvan Zapata and Ivan Strinic from Napoli, Gianluca Caprari from Inter Milan, as well as Gaston Ramirez from Middlesbrough. With notable departures being Luis Muriel to Sevilla, Bruno Fernandes to Sporting CP, Milan Skriniar to Inter Milan and Patrik Schick to Roma.
LAST TIME VS SAMPDORIA
The first encounter between the two last season was at the Allianz Stadium, where the Bianconeri recorded a comfortable 4-1 win. Mario Mandzukic opened the scoring after just four minutes, before Miralem Pjanic netted either side of Giorgio Chiellini brace. Away from home, things weren’t as comfortable for Juve, but they still managed to get the job done as Juan Cuadrado scored a header after seven minutes to hand the Bianconeri a 1-0 win.
#SAMPJUVE MATCH STATS
- Juve’s record against Sampdoria in Serie A is 57 wins, 37 draws and 24 losses.
- The Bianconeri have won their last five against Sampdoria, conceding only twice.
- Sampdoria have picked up 23 points from their first 11 games, a club record.
- The Blucerchiati have scored at least two goals in their last five league games.
- La Vecchia Signora have scored in their last 41 consecutive Serie A matches.
- The Bianconeri have taken the lead in every league match they’re played so far.
- Fabio Quagliarella is currently chasing his 100th goal in Serie A, having scored 23 for Juve.
- Nobody has had more shots than Dybala in the league this season (57).
- Giorgio Chiellini has scored more times against Sampdoria than any other team (4).
- Marco Giampaolo has lost all 11 times he has come up against Juventus in Serie A, conceding a total of 25 goals.