Juventus vs Inter Milan: Match preview
Inter Milan currently lead the way in Serie A by one point, two points ahead of Juve, but La Vecchia Signora can go top with a win at the Allianz Stadium on Saturday night.
Juve will be in a confident mood following their impressive 1-0 win away to Napoli in their last league match. Former Partenopei striker, Gonzalo Higuain scored the game’s all-important goal in the 12th minute, after he latched on to Paulo Dybala’s through ball to slot past Pepe Reina.
To further add to the Bianconeri’s buoyant mood, the team also qualified for the next round of the Champions League this week, after defeating Olympiacos 2-0 in Greece on Tuesday. Juan Cuadrado opened the scoring for Juve in the first half when he latched onto Alex Sandro’s cross at the far post. The result was made safe in the 90th minute, when a stunning left-footed strike from Federico Bernardeschi nestled into the far corner of the net, and sent Juve through to the Round of 16.
Since Luciano Spalletti took the reins of the Nerazzurri in the summer, Inter have looked a side that has gone from strength to strength as the team has grown in confidence through the season. A testament to this is the fact that Inter have 18 points more at this stage of the season compared to at this point last year. Captain, Mauro Icardi is the current leading scorer in Serie A with 15 goals to his name.
The club’s main summer signings were the recruitment of Fiorentina pair Borja Valero and Matias Vecino, as well as Slovakian international defender, Milan Skriniar from Sampdoria. Whilst on the other side they sold the likes of Gary Medel, Stevan Jovetic and Ever Banega.
Inter’s last showing saw them demolish Chievo Verona 5-0 at the San Siro, courtesy of an Ivan Perisic hat-trick, Icardi, and an effort from Skriniar. The result meant that after 15 games the Nerazzurri are unbeaten this season, having won 12 and drawn three.
LAST TIME VS INTER
Last season Juve had mixed fortunes against Inter home and away. The two sides met for the first time in September 2016 at the San Siro and despite taking the lead through Stephan Lichtsteiner in the 66th minute, The Old Lady were pegged back just two minutes later when Icardi struck for the hosts, Inter then went on to win the match after a goal from Perisic 12 minutes from time.
Back at the Allianz Stadium in February, Juve were victorious by a goal to nil, thanks to Juan Cuadrado’s splendid half-volley following a free-kick, right on half-time.
Juventus are unbeaten in their last four matches at home against Inter in Serie A, and have won 6 of their last eight league encounters on home-turf.
#JUVEINTER MATCH STATS
- In 168 Serie A Derby d’Italia’s, the current record stands at 80 Juventus wins, 42 draws and 46 Inter wins.
- Juve’s biggest win over Inter is a 9-1 victory in 1961, Juventus great, Omar Sivori scored six goals in the tie.
- In 84 Serie A home matches, Juve have come out on top 58 times, drawn 15 and lost 11.
- The last time the two sides met on Matchday 16 of the Serie A season was in 1952, and it ended in a 3-2 win for Juventus in Turin.
- Juve have only conceded four goals at home this season, which is the joint best defensive record in Serie A.
- With 41 goals scored, Juventus have set the Serie A record for the most goals scored after 15 matches.
- The Old Lady have scored the most goals from outside the area (eight), whilst the Nerazzurri have conceded the most along with Napoli (30% of their goals conceded).
- Out of all the players who currently still play in Serie A, the two non-Italian players to have scored the most goals are Gonzalo Higuain (104 in 156) and Mauro Icardi (97 in 171).
- Antonio Candreva and Ivan Perisic currently have the most assists in the league, seven and six respectively.
- All of Inter’s last 15 goals have involved at least one of Icardi, Perisic or Candreva.
- Samir Handanovic has only been able to keep a clean sheet in four out of 20 league matches against Juve.
- Luciano Spaletti has only won one match in 21 against Juventus.