Juventus vs Lazio: Match Preview
Juventus will be back at the Allianz Stadium for the first time since their final game of last season against Hellas Verona, which saw the Old Lady emerge 2-1 winners, as they lifted their seventh-straight Scudetto in front of their fans.
The Bianconeri kicked off the new campaign with victory against Chievo Verona last weekend, running out 2-3 winners at the Stadio Bentegodi. Three minutes into the game and Juve were a goal to the good when Sami Khedira reacted quickest to a Giorgio Chiellini knock-down to slot home. Chievo levelled close to the 40-minute mark when Mariusz Stepinski headed in to level the game going into half-time.
Into the second half and the hosts were awarded a penalty when Joao Cancelo challenged former Juventus player, Emanuele Giaccherini in the box. The ex-Bianconeri midfielder picked himself up and put away the spot-kick to send the hosts into the lead.
However, La Vecchia Signora never gave up hope of rescuing the match and they drew level with 15 minutes left when Mattia Bani put through his own net on a Federico Bernardeschi corner. Then in stoppage time, Alex Sandro put in a cross from the left that found its way through to Bernardeschi to tap in and seal a 2-3 opening day win.
LAZIO CONTINUE TO PROGRESS
Under the management of Simone Inzaghi, Lazio have made significant progress, improving their league position and exploits on the European stage as shown last season with Le Aquile finishing in fifth place, whilst reaching the Coppa Italia semi-finals and Europa League quarter-finals.
In the summer transfer market, Lazio added experience coupled with exciting prospects, as they brought in Milan Badelj and Francesco Acerbi from Fiorentina and Sassuolo respectively, with goalkeeper Silvio Proto - who played against Juve in last year’s Champions League group stage for Olympiacos - also arriving.
Further additions came in the form of Kosovan midfielder, Valon Berisha, came in from Red Bull Salzburg and Argentine winger, Joaquin Correa, was signed from Sevilla.
Meanwhile, notable departures included Stefan de Vrij moving to Inter, Felipe Anderson leaving for West Ham and Federico Marchetti signing for Genoa.
LAST SEASON VS LAZIO
Both Juventus and Lazio had their share of the spoils last season, with each side winning their respective away match.
When the two sides met last October in Turin, it looked as though the Bianconeri were heading for another home win when they took a half-time lead through Douglas Costa.
However, Lazio restored parity early in the second half through Ciro Immobile, the striker netting his second from the spot soon afterwards to turn the tie in the away side’s favour. Bernardeschi earned a very late penalty after the referee consulted VAR, but Paulo Dybala was denied from 12 yards by Thomas Strakosha, as Lazio held on for a 1-2 win.
The return fixture in Rome saw a very tactical game between the teams that looked to be heading for a 0-0 draw. However, in the third minute of stoppage time Dybala received an inch-perfect pass into the box and La Joya kept stayed ice cool to slot home a dramatic winner and secure an all-important 0-1 victory for the Bianconeri.
#JUVELAZIO MATCH STATS
- Juve have won 79 of 148 Serie A matches vs Lazio, with 36 draws and 33 Lazio wins.
- The Bianconeri have only conceded in one of their last eight league meetings with Lazio.
- In 2018, no team across the top five major European leagues has allowed less goals at home than Juventus (four).
- La Vecchia Signora have won 23 out of their last 26 home debuts.
- Juve have had the most shots in the league so far, registering 27 strikes at goal against Chievo on the opening day..
- Cristiano Ronaldo attempted the most shots on the first matchday with nine.
- Douglas Costa's first Serie A goal came in this fixture last season.
- Paulo Dybala has scored more times against Lazio than other team (11).
- Ciro Immobile has been involved in 65 goals (53 goals, 12 assists) in 70 league appearances with Lazio.
- Massimiliano Allegri's record against Lazio stands at 10 wins, five draws and four defeats.