Chievo Verona vs Juventus: Match preview
La Vecchia Signora won their first match back after the international break against Genoa as Monday Night Football came to the Allianz Stadium. The game’s only goal arrived in the 16th minute courtesy of some fine work from Douglas Costa. The Brazilian winger played a great ball to Mario Mandzukic on the left-hand side of the opposing box and then made an intelligent run into space, before putting a well-timed pass from the Croatian into the back of the Genoa net.
Despite the slender win, Juve were left untroubled for the majority of the match as Genoa failed to register a single shot on target in 90 minutes. The victory was the Bianconeri’s fifth in Serie A in a row and their eighth game undefeated.
CHIEVO LOOKING TO BOUNCE BACK
Whilst it was a winning return to action for Juventus, the same cannot be said for Chievo who were beaten comprehensively 5-1 away to Lazio.
Luis Alberto opened the scoring for the hosts in the 23rd minute before Chievo’s Manuel Pucciarelli evened things up just two minutes later. Sergej Milinkovic-Savic restored Le Aquile’s lead in the 31st minute, and despite only trailing 2-1 at the break it soon went downhill for the Flying Donkeys in the second half. Milinkovic-Savic netted his second of the game, before late goals from Bastos and Nani put the game well beyond doubt for the hosts.
Chievo are on a slump in form as they haven’t won in their last seven, losing five and drawing twice, with their last win coming on 25 November.
LAST TIME VS CHIEVO
The Bianconeri faced Chievo back in September at the Allianz Stadium where they came out on top in a 3-0 win.
Juve opened the scoring after 17 minutes of play when Chievo’s Perparim Hetemaj turned into his own net in attempting to defend a Miralem Pjanic set piece. The Old Lady doubled their lead in the second half when Gonzalo Higuain lashed Pjanic’s through ball into the roof of the Chievo goal. They wrapped up the match in the final 10 minutes, after some great work from Federico Bernardeschi on the right-hand side saw Paulo Dybala take over and cut into the box, before slaloming through a sea of defenders and finishing low to the goalkeeper’s left.
#CHIEVOJUVE MATCH STATS
- Chievo have only scored twice in seven matches against Juve, who in comparison have scored in their last 12 against the Flying Donkeys.
- The Gialloblu have only been able to gain one point in their last 11 vs Juventus.
- Juve hold the record for 24 consecutive away games, scoring at least one goal in Serie A.
- The Old Lady have the most cleansheets in the league with 12.
- Massimiliano Allegri's men have scored 18 goals in the first half hour of play, more than any other side.
- 13 different players have netted for Juve in this campaign, no other team has had as many.
- Chievo have conceded more from corners (six) than the rest of Serie A.
- The Flying Donkeys have earnt the most points from losing positions at home (nine).
- Miralem Pjanic and Chievo's Valter Birsa have provided the most assists from set pieces in the last two seasons with six and 10 respectively.
- Pjanic has created the most chances in the league with 39 to his name.